Accelerated Undergraduate/Graduate Program for Virginia Tech Students
Virginia Tech undergraduates who are interested in pursuing graduate studies at Virginia Tech are invited to apply to the Master of Natural Resources (Online) program and start earning graduate credentials while finishing up their undergraduate degree.
Flexible and convenient course schedules
All MNR (Online) courses are delivered asynchronously online, which means that students can choose when and where to study. The only in-person component is a Global Study trip, which takes the place of a capstone course later in the program.
Diverse undergrad majors welcomed
The MNR is a truly multidisciplinary degree and does not require an environmental science background. Students who are looking for a deeper dive into a specific sustainability area are welcome to select a concentration in one of the focus areas below:
- Biodiversity and Ecosystems
- Cities and Urban Systems
- Climate Change
- Environmental Security
- Sustainable Business
- Water and Marine Systems
- Environmental Policy
More and better career opportunities
Our alums apply their sustainability education at work in a variety of industries, including government, business, and nonprofits. All students have access to professional career coaches specializing in the sustainability field.
Here is a sample list of the types of positions and organizations where you can find our graduates:
- Lead Scientist, Booz Allen Hamilton
- Manager, Corporate Social Responsibility, Logistics and Procurement, Sumitomo Chemical America, Inc.
- Manager - Environmental Science, Wetland Studies and Solutions, Inc.
- EHS Manager, Shaw Industries
- Director, Infrastructure, Energy, and Environment, LMI
- Sea Turtle Conservation Biologist, D.B. Ecological Services
- Sea Grant Program Officer, NOAA (National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration)
- Manager, Sustainable Energy Division, Prince George’s County, MD
- Environmental Analyst, Fairfax County, VA
- Soil Conservationist, USDA Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS)
- Program Lead - Environmental Justice, National Environmental Policy Act, and Climate Change, U.S. Department of the Interior
- Natural Resources Planner, Maryland Department of the Environment
- Stewardship Manager, Land Trust of Virginia
- Environmental Educator, Friends of the Rappahannock
- Director, Global Internal Compliance, Rainforest Alliance
- Senior Vice President, Government Relations, The Conservation Fund
- Urban Development Research Analyst II, World Resources Institute
- Executive Vice President, Corporate Engagement, American Council on Renewable Energy (ACORE)