Master's of Natural Resources Degrees
Degree Programs Designed for Future Global Sustainability Leaders
The current public health crisis and its economic impacts have shown the vital role of leadership in human survival. The world requires a new generation of leaders—people from all backgrounds coming together and leading from where they are to rebuild our society for a safer, more sustainable future.
The Master of Natural Resources (MNR) degree is designed for working professionals aiming to advance their careers or to shift to leadership roles in the environmental and sustainability fields or functions. Delivered through two flexible formats—online and hybrid—our innovative instruction allows you to immediately apply what you learn to real-world challenges.
CLiGS programs are designed for adult learners—people with jobs, families, and other commitments that might take priority over school. We are set up to support all our students, and we have the experience, capacity, and resources to ensure your success.
New to the sustainability field?
Our programs will give you a thorough and nuanced understanding of where and how you can apply your knowledge and your passion. You don’t need a prior academic or professional background in the field to participate in our programs and begin solving today’s most challenging issues. With the knowledge and skills you will gain in our programs, you can confidently lead from where you are.
Subjects of Study
- Climate Change and Resiliency
- Energy Systems
- Food and Agriculture
- Water and Watersheds
- Poverty and Development
- Urbanization and Sustainable Cities
- Circular Economy and Sustainable Business
- Market and Governance Transformations
- Global Flows and Supply Chains
- Biodiversity and Ecosystems
- Environmental Security
- Diverse undergrad majors welcomed
- Graduate in as few as 12 months
- 30-credit, non-thesis degree
- 10-day overseas Global Study (select locations)
- No GRE required
- Environmental science background is not required
- Admission decisions are based on both academic and professional experience
- No additional cost for out-of-state or international students
- Executive program meets 11 weekends per year: on campus in the Washington, D.C. metro area for five 3-day meetings and virtually for six 2-day meeting
A graduate degree from a widely respected and fully accredited university like Virginia Tech can lead to new rewarding career opportunities, whether you are looking to step up or pivot. To help chart career trajectories, all of our students receive personalized career coaching.
COVID-19 Global Study Travel Update:
Given the dynamic nature of travel at the moment, we are following Virginia Tech’s travel and study abroad policies to inform our decisions on destinations and timing.
If traveling for Global Study is not possible—including for students’ personal reasons—we have alternatives for fulfilling this requirement to enable students to graduate according to their plan of study. Please consult one of our Academic Advisors for details.
Summer 2023 Application Deadline
Master of Natural Resources
Deadline: May 1, 2023
Term Dates: May 22 – August 11, 2023
Connect with CLiGS
Visit: 900 North Glebe Rd. Arlington, VA 22203