Graduate Certificate in Global Sustainability
This graduate certificate is designed for professionals seeking training and experience in international sustainable development, with a particular emphasis on environmental sustainability in emerging economies. Graduate Certificate in Global Sustainability (GCGS) is ideal for students from all professions and disciplines, and from around the world. All courses are offered online, so you can study at your own pace.
Students pursuing this certificate must complete:
- 3 of the 9 credits through participation and completion of one Global Study as part of NR 5114 Global Issues in Natural Resources
- 6 remaining credits must come from completion of two online NR elective courses
- Students must maintain a GPA of 3.0 or above for those 9 credit hours
Students can apply for the GCGS as a Virginia Tech degree-seeking or Commonwealth Campus student, or as a visiting student. If you are not currently a VT student, you must apply for graduate admission through the Virginia Tech Graduate School. An advising appointment is required prior to submitting an application.
Requirements for admission include:
- Completed undergraduate degree
- Current resume/ CV
- Personal goal statement
- Completed application
- No GRE required; TOEFL may be required for international students
As part of our mission to build leadership for global sustainability, Global Study modules explore challenges to sustainable development and the innovative cross-boundary strategies being developed to address these challenges. Students take part in a 10-day fieldwork project in the region of focus, with the remainder of the project work conducted virtually, providing students the opportunity to travel and gain valuable real-world international and cross-cultural experience.
Currently, Global Study is offered in:
- Ireland (coming soon)
- Italy (coming soon)
- South Africa